Fairy tales for adults

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Wed Feb 12 10:56:30 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Björn Lindberg wrote:

> wouter at pair.com (Wouter Van Hemel) writes:
>
> > > Assuming for a moment that when you said "things that are not" you meant
> > > "things that cannot be proven", I couldn't agree more.
> > > [...]
> >
> > Ofcourse. Reasonability is a double edged sword; I can't prove that god
> > doesn't exist, just as much as I can't proof that he does exist.
> >
> > So I just assume he doesn't, because that's how I'm put together. It seems
> > more unlikely than likely to me. I like to see things before believing
> > them. If he would walk up to me and introduce himself, I might change my
> > mind [about his existence]; but I think there's little chance to that. ;)
>
> This is reasonable. But if you are going to start just /believeing/
> things exist without any proof thereof, you can believe anything. For
> instance, you could believe that half of the stars we see are actually
> made out of cheese. You could believe that smoke is actually a life
> form, etc.

Uhm. Isn't that what I said? It's at least what I implied. I have to see
proof before I can believe things to be true. Look at it from all sides,
hear it, see it, feel it, smell it, poke it, play with it, tear it apart,
break it open, analyse it, etc.

> > Every atheist out of scientific/philosophical reasoning, is rather
> > agnostic than truly atheistic. Atheism is as much an unproven illusion (or
> > better, assumption) as religion is.
>
> I believe in atheism as much as I believe in gravity. For the same
> reasons.

That's agnostic. You believe because you see (arguably subjective) proof.
If your faith in atheism or gravity finds its roots in scientific or
logical reasoning or sensual perceptions, but you don't exclude the other
possibility, it just seems very unlikely, you are rather agnostic
atheistic.

Most atheist are agnostic.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org