Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Feb 12 10:33:38 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 02:08, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> Ofcourse. Reasonability is a double edged sword; I can't prove that god
> doesn't exist, just as much as I can't proof that he does exist.

>sigh< (Steve begins to pull his hair in frustration but gives up
because he has a brush cut and it just doesn't work).

If you are really reasonable you will look at your own assumptions and
motivations every time you try to make a logical argument, and if you
are diligent about it you will pretty quickly realize how limited you
are.  At that point all discussion of spirituality suddenly will make a
whole lot more sense.

Arguing whether god exists is silly unless you have a definite concept
of what god is, but once you start really looking at the nature of god
and all related issues, you'll find yourself forced into symbolic ways
of thinking because we're discussing things that are definition outside
our regular experience.  The honest reasonable answer then is to
consider that other people's symbolic views might be equally valid, if
you're willing to give them time and to grant that they are symbolic and
that symbolic arguments do have value (in fact quite a lot of scientific
argument is symbolic, too; Physics successfully refers to particles and
waves even though we know very well that at a basic level subatomic
matter is really neither).

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting