Fairy tales for adults

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Wed Feb 12 10:27:49 PST 2003

steveb at creek-and-cowley.com (Steve Bougerolle) writes:

> On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 22:14, Ian Molton wrote:
>
> > Please do give some examples. for example, how do they explain how light
> > from stars has taken billions of years to reach us?
>
> That's easy, Ian.  It's a deduction that light has taken billions of
> years to reach us from other stars, based on all sorts of observations
> AND assumptions.  Cosmology in particular is rife with unproven details,
> even more so than evolution.
>
> You CAN safely deduce that both the 6-day account and the current
> cosmological view can not be true, because they contradict each other.
> But cosmology, frankly, is probably the most speculative of all areas of
> science so you'd have to be either brave or foolish to insist on any
> theory of cosmology as being proven or "true".

I believe Ian's example is more a question of astronomy than a
question of cosmology. I agree that cosmology is speculative by
nature, but astronomy is not. The speed of light in different media
have been verified through countless experiments.

So, how would you explain your answer to Ian's question? That the
stars we see are not really stars in the astronomical sense, but
rather small lamps not very far from the earth?

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org