Fairy tales for adults

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Wed Feb 12 10:23:38 PST 2003

wouter at pair.com (Wouter Van Hemel) writes:

> > Assuming for a moment that when you said "things that are not" you meant
> > "things that cannot be proven", I couldn't agree more.
> > [...]
>
> Ofcourse. Reasonability is a double edged sword; I can't prove that god
> doesn't exist, just as much as I can't proof that he does exist.
>
> So I just assume he doesn't, because that's how I'm put together. It seems
> more unlikely than likely to me. I like to see things before believing
> them. If he would walk up to me and introduce himself, I might change my
> mind [about his existence]; but I think there's little chance to that. ;)

This is reasonable. But if you are going to start just /believeing/
things exist without any proof thereof, you can believe anything. For
instance, you could believe that half of the stars we see are actually
made out of cheese. You could believe that smoke is actually a life
form, etc.

> Every atheist out of scientific/philosophical reasoning, is rather
> agnostic than truly atheistic. Atheism is as much an unproven illusion (or
> better, assumption) as religion is.

I believe in atheism as much as I believe in gravity. For the same
reasons.

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org