Fairy tales for adults (long)

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Wed Feb 12 09:09:55 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Ian Molton wrote:

> its not such a huge leap, just a lot of very small ones.

Well put. Actually, we're just the result of zillions and zillions of
errors and deviations in gene-pools. :)

The weak combinations die, the strong survive and breed on. The stronger
and best adapted a creature, the more chance of survival, getting laid and
producing offspring. :)

Also brings us to the dangerous, highly philosophical assumption that
human evolution is dead, or at least stagnating. Everybody survives, all
the dumb, weak, sick, depressed, disabled and unadapted; so our gene pool
can't follow the process of natural selection anymore and guarantee the
survival of the fittest. Life improves because only the best equiped
creatures survive.

This is not really my personal opinion, just a philosophical thought.

In a way, we are forced to tamper with genes, or throw some of our basic
human values such as respect for the life of others overboard and become
Dr. Mengele incarnations.

I repeat myself: this world is too complicated for human beings.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org