Fairy tales for adults (long)

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Feb 12 08:39:55 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:37:42 +0000 (UTC)
JDrabb at darden.com ("James Drabb") wrote:

> I majored in biology
> in college and I was never convinced of evolution.  There needed to be
> just to many "perfect situations" for things to happen.  The human eye
> is so complex, that I find it hard to believe this organ evolved from
> a single cell in a pool of primordial soup.

You're looking at it wrong. it had MILLIONS of years to reach that
state.

Look at the things humans achieved in the last 100 years - LOADS of
things. we even went to the moon. do you think ANYONE would have dreamt
of humans getting that 'complex' 6000 years ago?

but try another angle...

suppose life needs energy from light to thrive in the 'soup'.

now, assume that there is a uniform spread of single-celled organisms,
all identical.

a stray cosmic ray mutates one of the organisms, so that the
light-insensitive parts of it become heavier (more molecules).

two things could happen:

1) it sinks and dies (probably common)
2) the heavy side of it weighs it down, so the light-sensitive side is
always facing up.

in the case of 2, the organism gains an advantage, and thrives.

suppose later, another mutation occurs, and it gains an ability to move,
randomly, perhaps because it causes it to excrete randomly in little
bursts or something.

later, maybe, it gains an ability to not prevent, but perhaps regulate
to some extent, how it excretes, hence gainss some control over its
movement.

and so on...

so, many years later you may have a simple, blind organism that can
move.

later still, it may gain another mutation that makes part of its surface
light sensitive (not able to see, just sense lighht).

this allows it to move toward or away from light (too much may kill
organisms that cant avoid it). it get another advantage.

over time, other mutations may allow it to see better (ones that mutate
more light sensing bits can 'see' better).

perhaps some organisms develop thin flaps of skin over their eyes. maybe
they live longer because their eyes dont get damaged as easily.

perhaps the skin grows thicker in some places (thicker = less damage).

perhaps the skin grows less opaque (less opaque = sees better).

its not such a huge leap, just a lot of very small ones.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org