Someone is Saddam's Girlfriend (Was Re: The Art of Unix Programming)

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Feb 11 04:52:48 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:54:51 +0000
James Iwanek <chthon at chthon-uk.com> wrote:

> > Who has the ego problem again, Mr. Control?
>
> im sure ian wont mind me mentioning that peaple with AS (like me and
> ian) dont have an ego (not as people would normally percieve it
> anyway)

Quite. We dont have an ego per-se, but usually a larger sense of pride
in what we do (because we only do what we KNOW we can do well). Often,
the knowledge that we are REALLY good at something is all we have to
hang on to.

When I say 'I am a damn good programmer', I mean it, because I know it
is true. I am not posturing, nor attempting to show off. It will have
been said in self defense, or to prove a point (like here).

I /am/ quite proud of my achievements. but I dont presume they somehow
make me better than someone who hasnt made them.

> we do however have a black and white view of facts or a
> clearly defined point of view in a debate

Even though often we cant express the view well, because either we lack
the understanding of communication skills needed, or because we write
what we mean, not realising what other people will read into it.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org