Someone is Saddam's Girlfriend (Was Re: The Art of Unix Programming)

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Mon Feb 10 18:06:27 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 02:40, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 05:15:57 +0000 (UTC)
> calkina at ece.curtin.edu.au (Andrew Calkin) wrote:
>

> > Please continue this off-list.
>
> Theres no reason they should - this is lfs.chat and its sole purpose is
> for any and all threads which are off-topic for the rest of the lfs.*
> groups.

This line of reasoning is getting tiresome to hear, Ian (and others).

The point is NOT that it's off-topic.  You are completely right about
that.  Lots of long threads here have nothing to do with Linux.

The point IS that it makes for an unpleasant atmosphere and drives
people away from the mailing list/newsgroup, so we all suffer when these
sort of discussions turn acrimonious.  This is why so many of us
suddenly seem to spring up out of nowhere when these flame wars erupt,
and ask that people take them somewhere else.

By the way, there is an accepted standard for conducting these sorts of
public battles, the same that newspapers use; say your piece once and
don't repeat yourself.  That's what personally bugs me.  I don't mind
hearing the argument about the definition of casualties or the
inaccuracy of "zero dead US civilians".  I just object when people start
repeating themselves without adding any new point.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com