Someone is Saddam's Girlfriend (Was Re: The Art of Unix Programming)

Henrik Jacobsson henrik.jacobsson.1245 at student.uu.se
Mon Feb 10 16:09:43 PST 2003

* Eric Miller (etmilleretmiller at yahoo.com) wrote:

> I didnt say that his comment wasn't well reasoned.  If
> you read it, he is saying that using "god bless this
> email" and peoples perception/response to that could
> cause problems.  I, like you, am agreeing with him.
>
> Where we disagree is that Bjorns email is also of this
> genre of "things that cross the line" (extreme
> religious or political statements made in an
> environment that is not suited to such discussion,
> without respect for those who have politely asked that
> it stop)

Sorry for jumping into this discussion uninvited, but I find it quite
interesting.  It seems as the argument is about stripping down ones
opinions into a bland 'least common denominator' in fear of upsetting
someone.  As such an approach would create extremely boring threads I
strongly oppose it.

Just curious about one thing though.  As it seems that the sig:

>War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
>Iraq            500,000
>USA                   0

is the one that upsets you, would you consider this slightly modified
sig as wrong?

War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq                 50
USA                   0

I can assure you that the mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and friends
of those innocent 50 iraqi civilians disagrees with you.

My understanding of this upcoming war-situation is that it boils down to
oil-control, revenge and Mr. Bush trying so avoid internal problems by
uniting the nation against some external threat.

Just my .02 units of local currency.
/Hj

Ps. If you consider the latter sig acceptable in lfs-chat, how many
expected civilians does it take until it becomes rude?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org