The Art of Unix Programming

Andrius Ciziunas andrius at tamos.net
Sat Feb 8 16:07:09 PST 2003

> > Add to that our wonderfully easy spelling rules (colour, favour,
> > organisation - note the s not a z) and pronunciation, that letter is  a
> > "zed" not a "zee".  Oh, and what the hell is up with "aloominum"
> > (aluminium)?  It's got another i in there which makes it
> > al-oo-min-ee-um.  All meant entirely in jest, merely pointing out the
> > differences in culture :)
> >
> It turns out they are right about 'aluminum'. Some of our daft spelling
> was because it was because at one time it was fashionable to spell like
> the french. Some is because the first books printed in English were
> typeset by people who called a yott a yacht (Dutch?). I still find
> their numbers odd. In the UK:
>
> 1000,000,000 = one thousand million
> 1000,000,000,000 = one billion
> 1000,000,000,000,000,000,000 = one thousand million billion.

	Hmmm....Interesting....so we're right about alumninum....As for
the numbers....Interesting as well that the Brits hold company with G.
Gordon Liddy, who insists on the British numbering system....That's where
I first encountered one thousand million==one trillion.....Read
somewhere...And I may have heard it on the radio once....What can I say,
I'm a media-file...

				A:)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org