The Art of Unix Programming

James Cozine jmcozine at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 12:12:52 PST 2003

andrius at tamos.net (Andrius Ciziunas) writes:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, James Cozine wrote:
>
>> d95-bli at nada.kth.se (Björn Lindberg) writes:
>>
>> > Eric S. Raymond has released a public beta version of his book,
>> > referenced in the subject. Thought someone might be interested.
>> >
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/
>>
>> I eat with my fork in my left hand too.  And I thought I was just odd.
>
> 	Nope....that's European style.

Interesting.

> What's weird is when you get taught both styles (my folks are from
> Europe, but I was born and raised in Virginia, and my mom insisted
> that I know how to eat politely, in either style...)..What's weird
> is when you mix up the two, and realize it.

I've never left the country, just been to most parts of it ;)  It's
just that, although I can use a fork in either hand, I just _cannot_
use a knife in my left hand, for whatever reason.

And, totally unrelated to this subthread, as a physics major I find it
difficult to *not* use the metric system (footpounds and slugs and
degrees Fahrenheit, oh my!)

> 	Now, let's play a bit of trivia....How many of you know where the
> American tradition of eating with your right hand and having your left
> hand in your lap, when not cutting comes from??:)

Already read your answer, so I don't get to try ;)

-jc
--
Here comes the orator, with his flood of words and his drop of reason.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org