KT133 motherboard and new CPU

Todd V. Rovito rovitotv at rovitotv.org
Sat Feb 8 11:45:01 PST 2003

I have a gigabyte motherboard with a KT133 chipset.  The board has a old
and slow 600 MHZ AMD Duron.  There are times when I get enough stuff
going that mpg123 skips music, so I was thinking about upgrading.  I
already have added a promise ATA 133 controller board thinking that
would help with Hard Disk throughput.  The machine has 192 MB of ram and
has plenty of free memory, I don't run X on this particular machine.  Its
main use is a music server, file server, CD-Rom Burner, and print server.
Do you think a new CPU would help? Would it allow me to burn CD's and
play music at the same time with no skipping?  If I upgrade the CPU I
was looking at 1 GHZ Duron (which is the fastest processor this board
supports according to the manual) but on Price watch they had AMD Duron's
listed with FSB of 200 MHZ while my FSB is 133 MHZ will the processor
still work?

I guess I could get a new motherboard, it would be nice to have USB 2.0
since my backup device is an external USB hard drive. Thanks for the
help.

--
Todd V. Rovito
rovitotv at rovitotv.org