The Art of Unix Programming

Justin Knierim jrknierim at jrknierim.com
Sat Feb 8 08:08:31 PST 2003

Im Auftrag von Andrius Ciziunas
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, James Cozine wrote:
> > d95-bli at nada.kth.se (Björn Lindberg) writes:
> >
> > > Eric S. Raymond has released a public beta version of his book,
> > > referenced in the subject. Thought someone might be interested.
> > >
> > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/
> >
> > I eat with my fork in my left hand too.  And I thought I
> was just odd.
> 	Nope....that's European style.  What's weird is when
> you get taught both styles (my folks are from Europe, but I
> was born and raised in Virginia, and my mom insisted that I
> know how to eat politely, in either style...)..What's weird
> is when you mix up the two, and realize it.

Yes, you are right.  I was born in California, and moved to Germany
around 8 months ago.  Among the very different things, I did notice that
many people hold knife and fork the whole time, and I think I am strange
to use one hand.  But I get used to it now, and start to do it the
European way.  :)

> 	Now, let's play a bit of trivia....How many of you know
> where the American tradition of eating with your right hand
> and having your left hand in your lap, when not cutting comes from??:)

No idea, but I would like to know.  :)

--
 MfG,

 Justin Knierim