Opinion about programming wizards

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Feb 7 13:35:08 PST 2003

"Billy O'Connor" <billyoc at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:81y94raja5.fsf at dps10.oconnoronline.net...
> Good points, sure.  Prototyping.  That's the RAD tool's primary
> use to me, the only real use I've ever seen for them.  Most of the
> large projects I've worked on used RAD tools for the initial "throw
> away" version of the system, but weren't used after that.  The
> maintenance phase of the software life cycle is made impossible with
> the use of these tools from what I've seen.  Most software spends the
> majority of it's life in the maintenance stage, as well.

Agreed, which has just sparked a thought.  Maybe these Wizards are being
aimed at the wrong people.  If they're so useful at building quick
mock-ups of a system, then make use of them early on in the life-cycle -
requirements capture!  Ask the user what they want and they are going to
change their mind infinitely many times until they're presented with
something they can see.  So go through an intial requirements capture
phase, then use the GUI wizard to provide a dumb screen (i.e. *no*
functionality) that shows what the end-user can do.  They'll likely come
back and say, no you've misunderstood X, or what about Y, so you add
that onto your screen and in 2 minutes time ask them again.  Once the
required functionality is known then you get the "hardcore" analysts in
to find out how it should be done, i.e. the business logic behind those
functions.  Then you analyse the most suitable platform for the
application (although this in all likelihood will be constrained by the
customer in some way).  I'm seeing an interactive Use Case Diagram here
if any of you are familiar with UML.

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org