Opinion about programming wizards

Billy O'Connor billyoc at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 7 12:53:10 PST 2003

gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) writes:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:27:44PM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>> The one thing I missed in the article was one of the good things about
>> wizards: educational value.

I always saw it the other way, the wizards keep new developers from
learning by creating the code.  And the generated code from the
wizards that I've seen has been unreadable, so there goes the "read
the generated code to learn" angle(IMO).  I've used code generators
of one form or another for 20 years,  I never saw one that was worth
using, from old COBOL screen section generators right up to VB.NET.

I'll pass.

Billy
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org