GCC 3.2.2

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 6 23:37:24 PST 2003

Matt Rogers wrote:

>On an off-topic note, I'm really impressed with the Gentoo portage system.
>Very well automated.  I couldn't take the time to do LFS on a PII-300 that i
>salvaged at work, so I went with Gentoo instead. Rather sophisticated,
>although I definately feel the pain of (and sympathize with) those of you who
>do LFS on older systems (Tushar's 350 Mhz box comes to mind). The machine at
>work took eight hours to do a bootstrap of gcc, glibc, binutils, and gettext,
>and had been running for another eight hours when I left on wednesday
>compiling all the other good stuff. I hope it's done when I go in tomorrow

It is good, but its very complex! Have you taken a look at some of the
ebuild files?! They are getting more complex every day. And the USE
variables just drove me crazy when I tried it. I liked the architecture
of sourcemage, though never got around to trying it out.

BTW, I do have a PIII-850 but that is my stable box so it is running an
older LFS, but will probably be reinstalling LFS soon on that one.
Additionally I have a AMD Athlon 1.2 G laptop but that is current
running Windows. The plan is to upgrade it to Mandrake 9.1 when it is
released. Once that is done, I plan to use distcc. In short, no need to
sympathize:) But thanks for sympathizing:)

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org