GCC 3.2.2

Matt Rogers matt at matt.rogers.name
Thu Feb 6 18:14:49 PST 2003

On Thursday 06 February 2003 07:45 pm, you wrote:
> torsten wrote:
> >Your description matches exactly how I do it.  All programs think they
> >are sitting in the
> >normal tree.  I only compile with --prefix=/usr or --prefix=/usr/local.
> >There are two effective ways to compile programs like this, and put them
> >in their subdirectories.  You mentioned one.
> >
> >The second method is for programs that don't have DESTDIR, or don't
> >honor it.  After I install a program, I diff the filesystem to find out
> >where it put things.  This is not really necessary, but it helps me
> >catch stray files.  I then cd to the package-sources directory, and do:
> >
> >epkg -r *
> >
> >and that will remove every packaged program from my system.  I package
> >everything, right down to gcc and glibc.  It also rmdir's all
> >the unused directories.  Now, I have a filesystem which contains only
> >the contents of one program.  I simply move the filesystem to the
> >appropriate package subdirectory, then issue
> >
> >epkg -b
> >
> >and that will relink everything back in place - it also handles creation
> >of all necessary directories.  Now I have my filesystem back up, with
> >the
> >just-installed program linked in.
>
> Check out the Gentoo build files and Redhat Source RPMs. Both these
> pkg-managers install into a tree in a different directory and then move
> it over to the actual locations. It may be easier than your approach.
>
> --
> Tushar Teredesai
>    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/
>    http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

On an off-topic note, I'm really impressed with the Gentoo portage system.
Very well automated.  I couldn't take the time to do LFS on a PII-300 that i
salvaged at work, so I went with Gentoo instead. Rather sophisticated,
although I definately feel the pain of (and sympathize with) those of you who
do LFS on older systems (Tushar's 350 Mhz box comes to mind). The machine at
work took eight hours to do a bootstrap of gcc, glibc, binutils, and gettext,
and had been running for another eight hours when I left on wednesday
compiling all the other good stuff. I hope it's done when I go in tomorrow

Matt
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org