studying

Rob Park eocnex at hnyoregn.pn
Thu Feb 6 16:24:12 PST 2003

Alas! Björn Lindberg spake thus:
> Ah yes, I should mention that I started my studies in 1997, which was
> before Java became really widespread on my university. My introductory
> CS course was using Scheme (a Lisp dialect) and C.

Had I been a first year CS student two years ago, I'd be learning the
joys of programming in Pascal.

> I have a distinct feeling that the level of my education has
> deteriorated somewhat during more recent years. For one thing they
> have started using Java a lot more in several courses. At least we
> have a proper UNIX environment though. All the main computer labs have
> Sun/Solaris boxes, only a few smaller ones have Windows and Mac boxes.

Well, from what I can tell, all 2nd year (and up) courses are on either
Solaris, or FreeBSD.

But for now, I get to suffer in what are openly referred to as the "Labs
of the Damned", fight^H^H^H^H^Hlearning Java with CodeWarrior, on
WinDOS...

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark