LFS on PII 233 with no fan in heatsink

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Feb 5 22:28:19 PST 2003

> Sad, innit?

/me wants a *personal computer*!!!

> The machine described above could basically garauntee
> that no process will EVER wait to get on the CPU...

Indeed!
I would design the kernel to use all the cores in a round-robin manner
to protect the machine's longevity too.

> > > It has its flaws, but its actually PERFECT for your purposes. its a
> > > ROCK SOLID base to write languages on.

> > Ack.

> It really is.

> if you can get your smalltalk interpretter set up right, you could boot
> with something like init=/bin/smalltalk and have basically nothing else
> on the system but the kernel. that would be sw33t, no?

I don't think that would be suitable for adminning the box or building
external software (such as the smalltalk vm, l4, etc...)..

My thinking on the matter was to create a user with a home path of
/usr/squeakers/atg (/usr might eventually end up on a vastly
larger/faster drive if I'm sufficiently satisfied with the machine's
performance. The primary controller on the thing is UDMA/66, but it also
has a UDMA/100 plug...

I would then configure etc password like:

atg:..:n:n:squeakers:/usr/squeakers/atg:/usr/bin/squeak

A root login would give you BASH but an atg login would load squeak. =)

Squeak will probably need some h4x0r!ng itself to work with both
processors and without X. -- A very useful project for the community!

I really need the experience too.

--
I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)
21364: THE UNDISPUTED GOD OF ALL CPUS.