LFS on PII 233 with no fan in heatsink

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Feb 5 18:35:52 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:
> > An Ideal chip would be a PC version of the 21364! It could be >> produced

> Nonesense. theres no way a 21364 could be adapted to run X86 code
> natively without stupendous design compromises. The advantage would be
> negative.

Who the hell wants to run x86 code?
I thought we were trying to move into the Open Source age.

> > Currently the best power-saving CPU is the VIA C3 which is a
> > combination of the IDT winchip and the old Cyrix M3 cpu...

> *cough* Stop thinking X86 *please*.
> compared to an ARM the VIA C3 is a greedy power sucking monster.

I was talking in terms of processors that you could actually buy today
and put in your desktop computer for a reasonable price/performance.

> My dad has a desktop machine with an ARM CPU in it (so do I, but mines
> 15 years old). it runs at 600MHz, consuming LESS than 1Watt of power.

Who sells _THAT_???
And for how much?

> X86 has a LOT to answer for. its shit, and will NEVER EVER be low
> power.

I am well aware of that.
That's why I still uphold the dream of Alpha on the desktop!
:_(

> I could fit nearly 100 strongARM CPU cores onto the die of a P-IV.
> thats 100*300MHz of CPU grunt, or, in marketing terms, 30GHz of CPU
> grunt. It'd be a fantastic project.

problems:

1. That many chips would choke on the bus. =( One solution might be to
provide four seperate 32-bit quad band memory channels..

2. A typical linux system would only be able to use 10 or so of them
effectively, the rest being idle most of the time. (not enough threads
in the ready state)...

Paralell programming is difficult and takes considerable expertise above
what it takes to write normal programs. What you really want to do is
design languages and environments which are _IMPLICITLY_ paralell.

This is why I chose to get a dual 1.2 athlon instead of a nicer one with
a 333mhz FSB at whatever the minimum clock speed is for that...

Ofcourse to do language research I need an operating system to support
this.

Even though I hate leenooks I realize that it is probably my best option
for the forseeable future.

For research purposes I need a small, tightly controlled, environment
that I can easily manage. This is why I chose Linux from scratch.
Through this I should be able to build a zero-bull system that will
serve my needs.

So, Ian, I'm already working on the very problem of supporting massively
paralell operating environments. ;)

--
I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)
21364: THE UNDISPUTED GOD OF ALL CPUS.