Installing Findutils

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 5 12:11:22 PST 2003

On February 5, 2003 01:00 pm, lfs linux wrote:
> CPPFLAGS=-Dre_max_failures=re_max_failures2 \
>
> what is the \ at the end of the line for?

It means the end of the line but not yet the end of the command. you hit enter
and continue typing out the rest of the commadn on the next line.

This improves readability as long lines may scroll off your screen (sometimes
they wrap to a new line automatically depending on how your bash is
configured).

> 2 I ran these commands from the findutils-4.1 dir. The dirs. that were
> built were placed as subdirs. of findutils-4.1 . Is this what was supposed
> to happen?

Always run the commands from the top level directory. Just like you did with
bash, binutils, bzip2 and the others.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org