HTML Question

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 06:45:45 PST 2003

"James Robertson" <jameswrobertson at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:b1r70b$9i5$1 at quasar.highos.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I have, hopefully, a simple html syntax question.  I have an html file
> that I ran against the html validator on the w3c's website.  I wanted
it
> to conform to v4.01 traditional.  I have a line in the file that uses
> the <blockquote> tag to move a section of text over one tab.  The
> validator told me that this tag was invalid.  Here is the exaxct
message:

> "Line 30, column 17:  document type does not allow element
"BLOCKQUOTE"
> here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
start-tag

>    <CODE><BLOCKQUOTE>"
>
> I have a css file attached to the html file to format the fonts used
and
>   such.
>
> Q:  What is an alternative tag that I can use to move a bunch of text
> over one tab's worth without using spaces and a fixed width font?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you're using css anyway then you can use any tag you want - although
you're writing the <blockquote> stuff.  I'm really anal about tags
implying meaning, not presentation hence my dislike of html - xhtml is
slightly better in this regard.  Simply put <p class="indent">You're
text in here</p> into your html file.  Now with css you can use the
p.indent { } style to shift the borders/margins of that block to suit
your audiences preference.

Hope this helps,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org