Space shuttle

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Wed Feb 5 04:47:27 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Dan Osterrath wrote:

> > So they actually guaranteed that if _something_ went wrong, everybody
> > on board would die.
>

> No, they could go back like they tried to. Unfortunately excactly this
> failed as the heat shield was damaged. They have backup systems for
> nearly everythink an board but you can not eliminate every risk.

Well, you said yourself there were no repair kits or docking module
onboard; or extra fuel, or enough spacesuits.

That's a lack of 'backup systems' in my book. I understand that it's a
very dangerous operation no matter what, but in my eyes, these things - or
rather the lack of them - is a failure by itself. It's exactly because
it's so dangerous, they should do what they can in regard to aids and
tools for the astronauts.

> > You've got to be courageous beyond sanity to go up under these horrible
> > circumstances... :(
>
> Hey, this was no tourism tour but a scientific. Space exploration is
> still an adventure with high risks. Every astraonaut knows this as a
> formula 1 driver knows that his job has very high risks, too.

But they all have suits and helmets.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org