my random mutterings ;-)

Johan Veenstra j.h.veenstra at stud.tue.nl
Tue Feb 4 04:27:55 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:47:32 -0000
> "Matthew Burgess" <ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Nice to see someone's appreciated for their efforts!  All I get in
>> general is a pat on the back and a "thanks very much Matt, I owe you
>> one".  One what, is what I'm asking myself, whatever it is I'm not
>> getting it - but then I help out because I can, not because I expect
>> anything in return (although a couple of pints would be nice).
>
> Ditto. People do rather take help with PCs for granted these days...

Very true indeed.

Two years ago I build a computer for a friend of mine REALLY cheaply. He
wanted to be able to e-mail and to visit a couple of webpages (2 to be
exact). So I gobbled togther some old stuff, you know an old 486, old 14"
monitor stuff like that. The only thing he had to pay for: a ISA modem (5$)
and a mouse (5$).

Two month ago the computer 'broke' (suddenly some dll's and other stuff were
gone). And he has been bugging me since about when I would come over to
pick up the computer to repair it! Yesterday he was bugging me again, and I
told him that the very least he could do was to ask nicely and to bring the
computer to me. Two hours later ding-dong, the door bell rang ......

First question: "How long will the repair take?"

Maybe I'll just install LFS with ppp, gpm, pine and lynx :-)

Johan Veenstra
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org