LFS on PII 233 with no fan in heatsink

Florian teply onlinefloh at web.de
Sat Feb 1 16:57:05 PST 2003

Archaic wrote:
[Intel Spec snipped]>
 > How were they able to do get that? They spread things out. Much more
 > dissipation. I understand that that alone doesn't do everything, and
 > that procs are running much faster now, but the first PIII's had fans
 > and the fastest PII's did not, yet they ran the same speed range.
 > Regardless, if the original poster of this thread is reading, it should
 > be noted (again) that these procs do not need fans.

I myself wouldn´t say these Processors don´t need fans. It´s all about
the way of cooling the CPU.
You should take a look inside the case (the Dell one) and you´ll see
that the heatsink of the processor gets an airblow from the power
supply. So you shouldn´t break this cooling system up by placing board
an Processor into another case without adding a fan. I just grilled some
Pentium 75 this way...

HTH Florian

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org