I *LOVE* the GNU version of 'date'

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Mon May 27 22:23:38 PDT 2002

Alas! Gerard Beekmans spake thus:
> I used to have an MP3 on ftp.linuxfromscratch.org where I had a Festival
> voice read the LFS-BOOK's foreword. It didn't sound all that bad. I should
> redo it with a better voice one day.

Hmmm... was it has huge as I think it was?

> > for large phrases it would pause for quite a while (I guess it had to
> > generate a wav file or something, then play it, so it was a bit slow. I
> > wonder if newer versions are faster...)
>
> I never had that problem. May be due to your computational power? I had it
> run on my Celeron 533 without any problems.

That could be it. P2-300MHz here. I seem to remember their website
saying something about how they knew there were large pauses on slow
machines for long phrases, and they wanted to fix that...

> > Ever use it for dictation? I remember trying some speech recognition
>
> No never tried that. I doubt it'll work properly with my accent and all.

Well, I'm not sure about this one, but most speech recognition software
I've see asks you to read some preset text while you set it up, so that
it can get a feel for what your voice sounds like. If you train it
properly, your accent shouldn't be a problem ;)

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org