I *LOVE* the GNU version of 'date'

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 27 05:30:25 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 11:11:41PM -0600, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> For speech synthesis, it talked about Festival. I kinda liked it, but

Ah yes I use it too to talk to me (it says things like "Glibc finished
compiling" when I dont want to sit and wait for it).

I used to have an MP3 on ftp.linuxfromscratch.org where I had a Festival
voice read the LFS-BOOK's foreword. It didn't sound all that bad. I should
redo it with a better voice one day.

> for large phrases it would pause for quite a while (I guess it had to
> generate a wav file or something, then play it, so it was a bit slow. I
> wonder if newer versions are faster...)

I never had that problem. May be due to your computational power? I had it
run on my Celeron 533 without any problems.

> Ever use it for dictation? I remember trying some speech recognition

No never tried that. I doubt it'll work properly with my accent and all.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org