I *LOVE* the GNU version of 'date'

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Sun May 26 22:11:41 PDT 2002

Alas! Gerard Beekmans spake thus:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 01:36:17PM -0600, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> > IIRC, the July 2001 issue of Linux Journal has an article on setting up
> > speech synthesis and speech recognition (by Marcel Gagne) on your Linux
> > box. The synthesis works really well, but I haven't tried the
> > recognition. You could have some fun with that ;)
>
> I haven't read that article, but by any chance did it talk about a program
> called cvoicecontrol?

That's the one! ;)

For speech synthesis, it talked about Festival. I kinda liked it, but
for large phrases it would pause for quite a while (I guess it had to
generate a wav file or something, then play it, so it was a bit slow. I
wonder if newer versions are faster...)

> I've played with that one and it worked rather well.  I used it for
> short phrases to start programs like mutt, galeon, xchat, start
> various ssh sessions to boxes and so on.

Ever use it for dictation? I remember trying some speech recognition
software on a friend's windows box, but it didn't work well. For short
commands that were programmed into it it was great, but trying to tell
it text (like URLs) was awful. I told it to take me to
www.planetunreal.com, and it tried to take me to WWW DOT planet on real
DOT CALM. Stupid thing ;)

> I stopped using it when I realized that it slows me down a lot. It's
> quicker for me to hit a key combination than to ask the computer to do
> it, sometimes having to ask twice or more before it understands me.

I figured problems like that might arise. Typing comes naturally to you,
it happens faster than speech. It's going to take a long time to get rid of
keyboards ;)

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/