I *LOVE* the GNU version of 'date'

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 26 13:02:13 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 01:36:17PM -0600, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> IIRC, the July 2001 issue of Linux Journal has an article on setting up
> speech synthesis and speech recognition (by Marcel Gagne) on your Linux
> box. The synthesis works really well, but I haven't tried the
> recognition. You could have some fun with that ;)

I haven't read that article, but by any chance did it talk about a program
called cvoicecontrol? I've played with that one and it worked rather well.
I used it for short phrases to start programs like mutt, galeon, xchat,
start various ssh sessions to boxes and so on. I stopped using it when I
realized that it slows me down a lot. It's quicker for me to hit a key
combination than to ask the computer to do it, sometimes having to ask
twice or more before it understands me. But it was fun either way. I still
see use for it when I'm not in reach of the keyboard. Say when I'm watching
TV and don't feel like getting up. I can just grab the mic and tell it to
start mutt so I can see my inbox.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org