Back...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 26 12:11:36 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:46:31AM +0800, Steve Bougerolle wrote:
> The rent here is $1300 Canadian per month for our little 800 ft^2 place.
>  How does that compare for expense?  An hour commute is a long time,
> though.. Maybe High River...

That's why I'm not going to live in Banff, Jasper, Calgary or any of those
(beautiful) places. I just got out of a $900/month rent for a one-bedroom
appartment on 17th floor and I don't want to go back into it. In that small
town of Didsbury we're moving to at first (got about 3500 or so people
living there) you can get a 2 bedroom duplex for about $400

Or get a 3 or 4 bedroom _house_ for $800'ish

Now that's affordable while only living 45 minutes from a bigger city like
Calgary. And it's only an hour or two east from Banff and columbia
icefields which makes for a very nice weekend roadtrip. We got family
living in Canmore so we have a place to stay for free. Good package deal.

Acually, when we're moving we're not going straight to Didsbury. We're
bypassing it and going on to Canmore and staying overnight at family there.
Then the next day off to Banff, up north to Jasper, back south-east'ish to
Red Deer and then south to Didsbury. We figure that'll make a nice first
drive through the mountain area for me (I've never been there. My wife has
worked at the Columbia Icefields for a few seasons so she's taking me on a
short tour). We may take 2 days to do that little canmore - jaspter -
didsbury trip, perhaps more. We'll already have spent about 4 to 5 days driving
from Toronto to over there so I figure we may as well add 2 more days to it and
make it a full week on the road.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org