can't mount proc in boot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 23 13:01:33 PDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:44:57PM -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:
> I put a whoami in the script /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S20mountproc and it shows
> root as the user.  What might I check that could cause this?  Thanks ahead
> for any clues.

Put the "id" command in it and show us the output. It'll give a clearer
picture of what's going on.

The first thing that comes to mind that may be the problem is Glibc's
inability to run /lib/libnss* files which will tell Glibc where the passwd
and group files are located, from which the current user's userid and name
are extracted (and mount then checks to make sure it's root).

So, make sure all files in /lib are world readable and also make sure that
/bin/mount is still owned by root. It'll run setuid so if it's not owned by
root but by somebody else, it'll run as that user which may not have access
to do things (like mounting proc).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org