can't mount proc in boot

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Thu May 23 11:44:57 PDT 2002

I've screwed myself again.  But before I rebuild yet again, perhaps there is
a way to fix it.  I have been messing with owners, groups and permissions
while testing a package manager.  I now get the following on bootup:

Mounting proc file system
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: no such file or directory
mount: only root can mount proc on /proc

then the infamous red error "you should not be reading this..."
I put a whoami in the script /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S20mountproc and it shows
root as the user.  What might I check that could cause this?  Thanks ahead
for any clues.

Albert
--
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org