Linux Journal On-Line: Committed to Linux or Just Devoted?

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 13:08:18 PDT 2002

:)) May the most geeky LFSer win:)

*The Lighter Side
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/categories.php?op=newindex&catid=8>:
Committed to Linux or Just Devoted?*
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 by Richard Vernon <mailto:richard at ssc.com>
  /
Now's the time to let that fanaticism pay off./

We recently ran a short humor piece
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5868> on this very web site
that asked the question: Are You a Linux Waif? The article was submitted
by a woman who has been married to a "Linux man" for 13 years. She said
she'd understand if we didn't want to run it because it might be funny
only to her and her husband.

Whether people found it funny I don't know, but for a lot of people it
struck close to home and turned out to be one of the most commented
articles on the site, with people writing in to share their own Linux
waif stories. The level of raving fanaticism, er, I mean enthusiastic
devotion, ignited a spark of inspiration in our free-beer-numbed minds.
We came up with an idea that will provide the staff of /Linux Journal/
with some free entertainment, while giving our readers an opportunity to
win a truly fabulous prize.

In the spirit of the old MTV show /Fanatic/, we will be hosting a
contest to discover the most dedicated (rabid) Linux devotee (fanatic).
If you can prove to us that you are the superlative Linux zealot, you
will win complimentary passage on the Linux Lunacy 2002 Caribbean cruise
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/lunacy> and a chance to meet some of the
most renowned people in the Linux and Open Source communities, including
Linus Torvalds, Ted Ts'o, Guido van Rossum and our own Phil Hughes.
Ports of call include Jamaica, the Cayman Islands and Holland-America's
private Caribbean island, Half Moon Cay.

To enter, simply submit some kind of physical evidence of your Linux
ardor to:

/Linux Journal/
Fanatic Contest
PO Box 55549
Seattle, WA 98155-0549

Submissions must be received by July 5, 2002. The grand prize winner and
two runners-up will be announced in the September issue of /Linux
Journal/. The runners-up will also receive a most excellent prize; check
here <http://www.linuxjournal.com/fanatic> for details.

Example forms of submission are essay, film, photographs or any
combination thereof. For instance, a short film of you wearing your
penguin pajamas to a five-star restaurant while trying to show the
waiter how to hack the restaurant's point-of-sale system (running
embedded Linux) to keep a more "accurate" account of tips would probably
make you a major contender.

We look forward to receiving your entries. Good luck!

Richard Vernon is editor in chief of /Linux Journal/.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org