restructuring the mailing lists

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 16 11:55:15 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 04:34:42PM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:
> make lfs-book only writeable by bugzilla and the current editors?
> Everything else should usually go through lfs-dev.

Something like that yes. That new splat that will eventually be finished
(when Juan gets the time to get some work done on it with me) will fix a
few annoyances that I have with Bugzilla at the moment.

lfs-book is meant as a list for the book editors. We don't discuss bugs
there, we (are supposed to anyway) only discuss book related issues.
Typo's, layout, XML stuff, Bugzilla announcements and Freshmeat
announcements. It'll be a bad thing to have the bug tracking system output
everything to lfs-dev when bugs are assigned, re-assigned, updated, etc,
etc. But when comments are added, it should go to lfs-dev. When bugs are
fixed (ie: closed) it should go to lfs-dev so people can keep track of bugs
as they are fixed.

It can be done in Bugzilla by adding/removing lfs-dev from the CC: list,
but if you forget to remove lfs-dev manually after a specific action that
requires a temporary CC: it'll get annoying when every bug aspect ends up
on that list.

Splat will overcome all those problems by providing a better interface for
lfs-book and lfs-dev integration (same for blfs-book/dev and whatever
else).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org