restructuring the mailing lists

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Fri May 10 16:45:15 PDT 2002

I'd like to say something on the topic of mailing lists:

I use procmail to sort my mail, but instead of telling it to pick out
specific email addresses that are mailing lists, it simply looks for
"List" or "X-List" headers and parses that information into an
appropriate folder to put the mail in.

For example, lfs-chat has this header:

And I use that to put mail to that list into ~/mail/lfs-chat. This way,
I only need one rule to catch every mailing list that uses listar.

A problem now arrises: If the list were simply named "chat", then I all
the mail would go to ~/mail/chat. That name for an mbox really isn't at
all descriptive of the kind of stuff that might go on there, and I don't
really associate "chat" with lfs. However, if it's called "lfs-chat",
then I know it's the chat list for lfs people.

So, I vote that all mailing lists be prefixed with "lfs-", or "blfs-",
or whatever is appropriate to the mailing list. Any sort of "general"
list that you people are suggesting should have no prefix, should really
be prefixed with "lfs-".

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/