LFS Bootable CD

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 03:06:08 PDT 2002

I have been making a LFS boot CD for a while, and have always thought
that a boot CD plus a BLFS source CD would be the ideal distro. I have
snail mailed various CDs; but now have an opportunity to have my boot
CD on the web. The bootcd.iso.bz2 is nearly 200Mb.  I cannot upload
files this size, but will post a CD to the ISP.

I thought that I would ask for opinions before I do this.  Can anyone
download things like this, and would they?

The boot CD was built with gcc-3.1 and is nearer LFS 4.0 than the
standard.  The reason for the large size is that it is a full LFS
plus gpm, lynx and X.  It has the packages, hints, commands and FAQ.
It is possible to build LFS on an empty machine using the CD as the
base system.  Or you can use it for repair or other uses.

The man pages and info are bz2, but I do not want to delete any
programs or i18n.

There is also a script for auto installation so that you can mass
produce LFS systems.

It uses an Ada enabled gcc-3.1, and in chapter 6 it builds all
languages, this stage is larger and slower than glibc.  The full
build takes about 8 hours on a 500MHz machine.

BUGS
It will not work on SCSI machines; just standard IDE.
The CD and any systems that it builds itself will have UK clock
and keyboard; and /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0
has ONBOOT=no

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org