radio astronomy

tristan twem2-lfs at eridu.org.uk
Sun Jun 16 06:32:29 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 02:36:38PM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> tristan wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 04:51:35PM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> > > It sounds like a great project. I'd love to have a radio telescope
> > > myself but I'd have to cut down the large trees in my yard to see the
> > > sky with it. I like the trees better.
> >
> > You could always string a wire antenna up between the trees and use the
> > HF (Short Wave) radio astronomy band. Mostly good for observing
> > Jupiter.
> >
> Not much directionality going on there. How would I know it's coming
> from Jupiter and not from next door?

A lot of radio telescopes are just big fields of wire, you can't get a
huge amount of directionality with radio waves anyway.
The ways to tell if its from Jupiter - does it only occur when Jupiter
is above the horizon (this is a pretty good indicator really)
Does it sound right and is it the right frequencies.

Tristan
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org