Music

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 15 22:35:12 PDT 2002

Alas! Don Smith spake thus:
> Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> > > Evolution Theory is admittedly a theory.
> >
> > I have a beef with this statement. You don't really understand the
> > scientific method. The ultimate goal of science is not to create laws,
> > but to create theories. You see, a law is simply an observation. It can
> > be useful for calculations, but is not generally useful to the
> > scientific community. A theory, on the other hand, is an _explanation_
> > of an observation, which is really the entire goal of science.
>
> No, discovering fundamental laws is also a goal. But you are, of course,
> right. I just get tired of people pulling out the "it's only a theory"
> crap. I didn't express myself as well as you.

Yes, laws are important, my the point I was really trying to make is
that we use laws to help develop our theories, not the other way around.
_Theories_ are what we really want, because they explain the world
around us.

> > You know dog breeders? They breed dogs to have certain qualities.
> > _That's_ evolution. Yes, it's a very minor, _minor_ change, but it's the
> > most you're going to get for such a short time frame.
> >
> > The classic example of evolution is the moths in Britain during the
> > industrial revolution: there used to be lots of white moths, who were
> > better camoflaged, then lots of pollution came, everything turned black,
> > and birds started eating more white moths because they were easier to
> > see. So the black moths became more prevalent in the species. _That's_
> > evolution.
>
> Actually, that is an example of natural selection. The black and white
> moths were already there and they belong to the same species, they are
> not different species. BTW, since the pollution has stopped the white
> moths are making a comeback, or rather were until the entire forest was
> developed.

Yes, it was natural selection that made the change from white to black;
but at first there were more white, then lots of whites died and the
blacks became more prevalent. The genetic code for the population
changed from being mostly white to mostly black. That's evolution.

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org