Music

Don Smith don_smith at att.net
Sat Jun 15 11:15:31 PDT 2002

Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:

> > Evolution Theory is admittedly a theory.
>
> I have a beef with this statement. You don't really understand the
> scientific method. The ultimate goal of science is not to create laws,
> but to create theories. You see, a law is simply an observation. It can
> be useful for calculations, but is not generally useful to the
> scientific community. A theory, on the other hand, is an _explanation_
> of an observation, which is really the entire goal of science.

No, discovering fundamental laws is also a goal. But you are, of course,
right. I just get tired of people pulling out the "it's only a theory"
crap. I didn't express myself as well as you.

> > It cannot be proven without a time machine to go back and record it
> > happening.
>
> People seem to have this strange misconception that the Theory of
> Evolution tries to say "Everything evolved from sea slime millions of
> years ago". That's untrue. The theory states, more or less, that
> "Evolution is the gradual change of genetic data in a species." It
> doesn't have to be a change for the better, just a change. It has been
> proven time and time again.

Technically true, evolution theory does not talk about starting points.
However, evolution theory is used to explain how the plethora of species
arose from the primordial bacterial soup. AFAIK, there is no widely
accepted theory explaining how to get from a stew of simple chemicals to
procaryotes.

> You know dog breeders? They breed dogs to have certain qualities.
> _That's_ evolution. Yes, it's a very minor, _minor_ change, but it's the
> most you're going to get for such a short time frame.
>
> The classic example of evolution is the moths in Britain during the
> industrial revolution: there used to be lots of white moths, who were
> better camoflaged, then lots of pollution came, everything turned black,
> and birds started eating more white moths because they were easier to
> see. So the black moths became more prevalent in the species. _That's_
> evolution.

Actually, that is an example of natural selection. The black and white
moths were already there and they belong to the same species, they are
not different species. BTW, since the pollution has stopped the white
moths are making a comeback, or rather were until the entire forest was
developed.

Don
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org