Music

Björn Lindberg d95-bli.no at spam.nada.kth.se
Fri Jun 14 23:52:20 PDT 2002

Steve Bougerolle wrote:

> Don't misunderstand me - I find the subject fascinating, and I'm
> particularly interested in the "out of Africa" debate and theories of
> ethnic origins and so on.  I'm also not interested in nutty religious
> explanations (to my mind, whether you explain an evolutionary step as
> "spontaneous simultaneous random mutations" or "a miracle" is just a
> question of wording).  But I do think there are problems with evolution
> as a scientific theory, and I like to keep scientists honest.
>
> In this case, what has perhaps triggered me is the last bit in that
> quote - "finding the evolutionary trees behind gene sequences".  You are
> assuming that there are evolutionary trees, and looking for evidence to
> support your assumption.  That's fair enough, but I find too many people
> tend to get carried away with that assumption and start to confuse it
> with absolute truth.  I hope you're not one of them?

Of course, but the evolutionary theory is the currently most probable
one. Also, I can create a model for evolution of gene sequences. That
model will work well with simulated data, and give certain results. That
same model can also work well for real data suggesting that it might be
a good model. But it is all about models.

Let me also add that biologists have observed mutations, and other
genetic behavior like duplications of gene material etc, so it is not
just speculation at all. Evolution have been observed in smaller, more
fast evolving organisms, like bacteria.

Björn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org