Music

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 15:14:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 12:03:27PM -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:
> What I find personally disagreeable in that remark is not that you would
> defend your family if threatened, but rather that you would cop out of a
> rational decision and allow "instinct" to take over.  Instinct is what drives
> adolescents before they learn to use their frontal lobe.  Even among
> soldiers, the best warriors learn to kill dispassionately because it is their
> duty.  Discipline and training teaches them to control "instinct" because it
> clouds their judgement and is therefore dangerous.  If you are going to kill,
> then take responsibility for it and don't say "the devil made me do it."

And I suppose you can say with certainty what you would do in such an
extreme situation? You know, several of us have been having quite good
conversations this whole day. Then you decide to spout out 2
inflammatory emails. What gives? Besides, if you think that of the 2,
the frontal lobe won't take a back seat, you are mistaken. Militaries
'try' to remove it from the equation. They don't ever fully succeed.
Some people are, however, more capable of such hardening of one's mind.
Though I suppose that would be more of a genetic ability. And if you are
going to say I'm not willing to take responsibility, just re-read my
post that mentions going to prison for my actions.

--
Archaic

--
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action, according to our will, within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."

- Thomas Jefferson

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org