Music

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Fri Jun 14 10:03:27 PDT 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 04:15 pm, Archaic wrote:
<snip>
> What assumption. I'm not assuming anything. The example is that
> someone is harming, not going to harm. Revenge wouldn't play in that
> situation. I tend to believe that instinct would take over.

<snip>

What I find personally disagreeable in that remark is not that you would
defend your family if threatened, but rather that you would cop out of a
rational decision and allow "instinct" to take over.  Instinct is what drives
adolescents before they learn to use their frontal lobe.  Even among
soldiers, the best warriors learn to kill dispassionately because it is their
duty.  Discipline and training teaches them to control "instinct" because it
clouds their judgement and is therefore dangerous.  If you are going to kill,
then take responsibility for it and don't say "the devil made me do it."

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org