XML vs. latex?

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 14 15:46:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, 14, Jun, 2002 at 10:48:46PM +0200, Robert Ian Smit spoke thus..
> I second this question.
>
> All my mp3, webbrowsing, email and cardplaying needs have been
> forfilled. But how do I write a document?
>
> I have this notion of writing plain text with Vim. And then
> outputting it in any format under the sun at the press of a button.
>
> Does this make sense? If so, how exactly?

Possibly yes.  I seem to remember Gerard once saying about his resume
(CV) being in Docbook but I might be wrong.  I'm sure it's possibly -
especially if documents have clearly definable structure.

For information on creating Docbook documents, I recommend looking into
the README and INSTALL files which are in the LFS CVS repositary.  These
will help you learn how to convert the LFS XML to HTML/PS/PDF etc.  To
find out more about docbook try http://www.docbook.org

You can also look at the LFS BOOK, BLFS BOOK and LFS/BLFS FAQ for
examples of how to create Docbook documents - they'll give you a good
starting point.

> I do have Abiword installed for my kid brother who comes around to
> get his mail from Hotmail. He'd rather boot into Windows, the little
> git, to use Word, but that's not permitted by me.

Hmm.  "Little git"?  That's funny, that's *exactly* what I tend to call
my younger brother as well..  Maybe it's a generic label.

> I'd feel more sexy if I can avoid having to use Abiword myself.

Actually, abiword creates XML based documents.  Try opening one :-)
[IIRC, OpenOffice uses XML as the file format as well].

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org