XML vs. latex?

Björn Lindberg d95-bli.no at spam.nada.kth.se
Fri Jun 14 14:39:47 PDT 2002

Robert Ian Smit wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:26:28PM +0200, Sven Hartenstein wrote:
> > Hi LFS chatters,
> >
> > I'm a newbie (no, not even) to both XML and latex et al., and I'm
> > looking for a way to write documents not using WYSIMWYG stuff.
> >
> > Thus my questions:
> >
> > 1) Will XML+DTD+? be the death (i.e. end) of latex/groff/... and such?
> > 2) Which should I learn?
> > 3) Or is this comparison not valid? Do they do very different things?
> >
> > Any hints welcome!
> >

> I second this question.
>
> All my mp3, webbrowsing, email and cardplaying needs have been
> forfilled. But how do I write a document?
>
> I have this notion of writing plain text with Vim. And then
> outputting it in any format under the sun at the press of a button.
>
> Does this make sense? If so, how exactly?
>
> I do have Abiword installed for my kid brother who comes around to
> get his mail from Hotmail. He'd rather boot into Windows, the little
> git, to use Word, but that's not permitted by me.
>
> I'd feel more sexy if I can avoid having to use Abiword myself.

I would learn LaTeX if I were you. It is very easy once you get started,
and the documents it produces looks very proffessional. There are a lot
of different templates, so you can use it for practically any kind of
documentation, like scientific writings, letters, overhead slides, etc.

Here is a good guide:

http://www.nada.kth.se/datorer/tex/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/latex/general/lshort.pdf

Björn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org