XML vs. latex?

Robert Ian Smit robian at wanadoo.nl
Fri Jun 14 13:48:46 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:26:28PM +0200, Sven Hartenstein wrote:
> Hi LFS chatters,
>
> I'm a newbie (no, not even) to both XML and latex et al., and I'm
> looking for a way to write documents not using WYSIMWYG stuff.
>
> Thus my questions:
>
> 1) Will XML+DTD+? be the death (i.e. end) of latex/groff/... and such?
> 2) Which should I learn?
> 3) Or is this comparison not valid? Do they do very different things?
>
> Any hints welcome!

I second this question.

All my mp3, webbrowsing, email and cardplaying needs have been
forfilled. But how do I write a document?

I have this notion of writing plain text with Vim. And then
outputting it in any format under the sun at the press of a button.

Does this make sense? If so, how exactly?

I do have Abiword installed for my kid brother who comes around to
get his mail from Hotmail. He'd rather boot into Windows, the little
git, to use Word, but that's not permitted by me.

I'd feel more sexy if I can avoid having to use Abiword myself.

Bob