Religion (Was Re: Music)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 13:28:22 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:15:59AM -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:
> > > "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only
> > > prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of
> > > freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to
> > > consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
> > >
> > > - John F. Kennedy
> > >
> > > How ironic.  I wonder if his assasins were inspired by that quote.
> >
> > I'm lost. Can you explain the irony? Are you saying the his assasins
> > were preserving freedom?
>
> To me the irony lay in the context of the quote:  on the post of one who
> advocates violence to correct perceived injustices.  Don't all assassins
> BELIEVE that they are preserving freedom and fighting injustice?  Kennedy's
> assassins, like Lincoln's assassins and the anti-abortion assassins of
> doctors, had all lost faith in and patience with democracy.

I will not presume to know the minds of Kennedy's assasins. Hell, we
don't even know who they are. Once we know that, then it would be a lot
easier to presume their motives based on what their obvious rewards
would be. Also, the concept of protecting freedom does not exclude the
possibility of revolt.

--
Archaic

--
Love your country, but never trust its government.

- Robert A. Heinlein.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org