Religion (Was Re: Music)

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Fri Jun 14 08:15:59 PDT 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 02:34 pm, Archaic wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:28:24AM -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:
> > "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only
> > prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of
> > freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to
> > consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
> >
> > - John F. Kennedy
> >
> > How ironic.  I wonder if his assasins were inspired by that quote.
>
> I'm lost. Can you explain the irony? Are you saying the his assasins
> were preserving freedom?

To me the irony lay in the context of the quote:  on the post of one who
advocates violence to correct perceived injustices.  Don't all assassins
BELIEVE that they are preserving freedom and fighting injustice?  Kennedy's
assassins, like Lincoln's assassins and the anti-abortion assassins of
doctors, had all lost faith in and patience with democracy.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org