Music

Robert Ian Smit robian at wanadoo.nl
Fri Jun 14 12:03:05 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:03:55PM -0500, Archaic wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 03:48:08AM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> > Our world would not exist without faith, I am sure. The humility
> > that is part of any believe in a higher being, was necessary to
> > create human interaction, to take care of each other and make sacrifices.
>
> One concept I have never and will never believe is that we are good
> because of religion. People do their nature with or without religion.
> Some thoughts are suppressed, but if willful, is done without religion.
> I do not kill other humans because a book says not to. I believe the
> same goes with law. A law doesn't stop me from doing something. It just
> defines punishment for those actions. I see the bible as an ancient law
> book. Actually, that is what the Old Testament exactly is.  My only beef
> with religion is the lengths some people will go to shove it down
> someone's throat (I'm not making that assumption here).

Perhaps I didn't pick my wording right here. I was talking about
pre-historic humans who needed some bond to start the first
societies. Why risk getting killed for the common good if there is
not yet such a thing as a common good? I believe some form of
religion that gave hope and dealt with fear might explain that.

Bob