Music

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 11:08:36 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:57:26AM -0700, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> If i didn't know any better, i'd say that you, like
> so many people, subscribe to this idea of an eye for
> an eye and a tooth for a tooth. To me, that is a
> terribly infantile, amimalistic philosphy.
>
> Defense is about preservation, not descruction.

Perservation is my goal. If you would attempt to kill my family, what is
to say you wouldn't attempt to kill someone else's, as well? The concept
is punishment and deterrance. I don't agree with the concept of the
death penalty being a deterrance to would-be criminals, nor do I
subscribe to belief in the death penalty. At least not in it's current
incarnation. Either way, if I kill you while you are attempting to kill
my family I have helped to preserve society for you would have been
nothing but a cancer to that society and would most likely have killed
someone else.
I don't trust the inefficiency of gov't to keep you behind bars.
Everyday, there is something in the paper about multiple violent
offence criminals doing something to somebody, or escaping, or what
not. Of course I also don't trust gov't to decide you should be put to
death. Again, they are too inefficient (and corrupt) to make such
important decisions. However, if I kill you in the defense of self or
family, justice is served quickly, justly, and inevitably for the good
of the society in general.
Now don't get me wrong, this is my justification, but in the end, I've
not been put in that situation and cannon say what will happen when my
animalistic nature takes over, as it most certainly does in extreme
situations.

--
Archaic

--
When all government ...in little as in great things... shall be drawn to
Washington as the center of all power; it will render powerless the

- Thomas Jefferson, 1821

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org