Music

Fabio Fracassi turiya at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 14 12:33:33 PDT 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 18:00, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 11:08:55AM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> > I was talking about laws being passed forcing public schools to teach
> > religious doctrine, not about prayer in schools.
>
> I don't think schools should be forced to teach
> religiuos doctrine. But, i do think that teachers
> should have some choice with what they teach. If
> they think that children deserve to see opposite
> views, then i see no wrong in teaching creation
> theory. It's just a theory like anything else.
>
> This may make some students uncomfortable,

Why should it, it hurts nobody to know something, even if it is irrelevant or
stupid to this somebody.

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
                -- Seneca, "Epistles"

> but so
> might evolution theory to fundamentalists. I'm not
> saying creation theory is based on fact, but that
> freedom of speech should allow it to be taught, not
> forced it to be taught.

That depends on what you esteam important in education, I would say a normal
person should know about both, so both should be taught, since it are the
most important theorys in this field.

> > That is a different
> > subject on which I am divided. On the one hand, I grew up with moments
> > of silence during which you were supposed to silently pray and see
> > nothing wrong with that. On the other, I can see how a child who doesn't
> > pray in that manner would be made very uncomfortable and would stand out
> > as being "odd" which can be a terrible thing in school.
>
> I don't think there should be moments of silence. But,
> if someone wants to pray at lunch time, or at a
> designated time their religion deems appropriate, they
> should be allowed to pray. If it makes the other students
> uncomfortable, they will just have to get over it. The
> world is not a comfortable place.

Yes, there is no right to intolerance.

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org